Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February Ice Free Spring Creek Fly Fishing For Tiger & Rainbow Trout

Mid Winter February Spring Creek Fly Fishing. Near Salt Lake City, Park City, Ogden, Provo Utah private fishing on our 10,000 acre family ranch close to salt lake city international airport, in Tooele County ut. 


"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." — Henry David Thoreau


We went "open water" fly fishing Monday February 20, 2012. The date is not generally considered the “hot” time of the year for fishing (unless you want to go ice fishing) but the trip turned rather interesting. It reminded me of the real reasons why I and many others have developed such a passion for fly fishing; reasons that have little to do with catching fish.


"Get Out Of The House...Now"


I have a sneaking suspicion that my wife probably enjoys my getting out of the house as much as I do. Her reasons might be a bit different than mine. I became suspicious of this when she told me: “How can Photo Solitude of fly fishing on ranch in Tooele Utah
Warm February Day

I miss you if you don’t go away?” Aside from that, there is something nice about coming home and having her greet me with a smile – so I know I am not totally unwelcome.
Winter can be daunting; I can stand the cold, snow and, as long as they don’t last for too long, the overcast skies. When I was a boy, my mom would bundle me up against the cold and send me outside to play. The rumors about her tying a bratwurst around my neck are not true – at least to my recollection. We sure had fun playing in the snow till dark or frostbite, whichever came first, sent us in, Bundling up for the winter cold reminds me of those days and my recollections are pleasant.


Fishing Is The Best Therapy For What Ails You, Especially Blue Bird Winter Fly Fishing in Utah!


There is something else about the winter weather. When a storm moves through, it scrubs our air and leaves a kind of clarity in its wake that is refreshing. I like the smell of the air and when we go fishing, we usually roll the windows down and just take in the air. It has a therapeutic, restorative and uplifting effect and we leave the windows down till it gets nice and cold. It awakens us as if we have been lingering in a long hibernation.


Friends, Nature & Sense Of Renewal With No One Around But Your Own Private Party.
To be with friends, on the water, enjoying the stark winter landscape and noticing whatever animal life comes into view reminds me that there are simple things in life which are more important than those which I give so much time and attention.

I sit down on a bench and watch as the orange sun arcs toward the blue Mountains. The snow reflects the orange and blue in alien colors - as the waning warmth of the sun starts to ebb away. As the sun slips away, everything seems like it is refreezing in the spreading darkness. In the chill, I think of the water, fish and friends and I remember winter is not forever.


Foot note...There are those days in Winter when it is all about catching the fish too. It's just the mind set we go out with or change depending on our mood at the time we reach our destination. Either way, have a great time enjoying your commune with the out of doors.
Photo enjoying fly fishing in the evening at sunset
Check out Fenwicks Fly Fishing Secrets & Tips In Previous Blogs Posted On This Site.
See More Trophy Tiger Trout & Rainbow Trout At Our Website:

Photo Spawning Mid Winter Tiger Trout Male











Dove Creek West @ Hogans Ranch in Tooele County is open year rouund to the public by advance reservation.  Salt Lake City & Park city resorts and hotels are less than 1 hour drive to the ranch.  Fly fishing guides and instructors are avialble but not requred on our wild spring creek fly fishing waters for giant rainbow trout, cuttbows, record size tiger trout.